
Note: This may make no sense what so ever. I started complaining about one thing, then changed my mind and moved on to something else.
I was watching a History Channel special last night (yeah, I love those things) and it was talking about Thomas Jefferson and the fact that he suffered from debilitating migraines.
Then the asshat that they were interviewing said something about with the pressures of the times it is not surprising that they would suffer from psychosomatic illnesses or symptoms. Major paraphrasing, but the jist was migraine=psychosomatic. WTF? Is he serious? Probably he meant stress or pressure causing a migraine. But for a supposed expert he really should get his verbiage correct.
Psychosomatic my ass. Ask anyone who has had one, or watched someone with one. Or had to get daily injections 4 frickin days straight to get rid of one if they are psychosomatic. Sure, the things I will do for attention.
That just totally lowered his credibility in my eyes. He supposedly wrote a book about the founding fathers and should be more sympathetic to the cause, and... anyway I had to rage about that for a while. Would love to know his opinion on depression.
I do understand the meaning of the word psychosomatic:
Main Entry: psy·cho·so·mat·ic
Pronunciation: \-sə-ˈma-tik\
Function: adjective
Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary
Date: 1863
1 : of, relating to, concerned with, or involving both mind and body
2 : of, relating to, involving, or concerned with bodily symptoms caused by mental or emotional disturbance
Thinking, thinking, pondering... okay, maybe, MAYBE in this case it was accurate. In Jefferson's case stress (a mental disturbance) caused the migraine (a bodily symptom). But it was presented with such a generality that it caused me to overreact to the statement.
(There. It still wasn't my fault I got upset. The jerk made a stupid generality.)
(I can justify anything. It's a talent.)
Warning: Introspective moment coming.
But speaking of psychosomatic... I swear that my joke of a life causes all my aches and pains. This just can't be normal. I have an earache, my eyes burn, my head hurts, my knees hurt, it feels like someone is trying to drill their knuckle into my back, I am tired.
Okay my head hurting is not new. And I think the tiredness is caused by one of my medications. But the other things... maybe I am developing "sympathy" pains to get attention. You know, with MJ's illness and all. Everything has been so focused on him for the last 5 years. Dunno, it is so nuts. But add it to the other mentals that I have. Ack, someone just commit me. Funny farm here I come.
Okay, right turn.
My office is freezing! They turned the heat off to work on the water pipes. Yeah, those two things go together. We use radiators to heat the offices (steam), just like in the sorority house (I need two bricks and a board for a shelf).
And a left turn.
JR is having his heart thingy today. So I am thinking about that too. He better text or email or something when he is done. Or have his friend that is staying with him do it.
Left again.
And I am making my way through the graduation checks for next year's seniors. There are about 200 elementary education majors, and they are BORING. They all take the exact same classes. Unfortunately I have already done all my math, science and middle school students. Hence, my need for frequent brain breaks, or my head will go THUD on my desk.
Making all of this a major PAIN is my stupid computer here. It likes to suddenly switch from the active window on its own. I don't know where it goes. But I am typing and suddenly I realize that nothing is being conveyed to the computer because my windo(it just did it)w is not active. Even my computer is conspiring to drive me crazy.
I wish I were as eloquent as some of the other bloggers I read. I know, that had nothing to do with anything, but I am feeling very disjointed today.
Okay back to it. I gotta let Elizabeth know she needs an economics course.


4 comments:
Let me know when you hear about Anon. I've been thinking about him today.
Oh wait, this is the headache entry too. Yes, as I USED to get migraines, that phrase irked me too. However, I do think they are frequently caused by stress and/or surroundings (bad lighting, weather changes, etc.) So if that's psychosomatic, then I guess that's what they are. All I know is that Eldest had one 4 out 5 days in 3rd grade, ALWAYS starting in math class. Things that make you say, "Hum?"
Mine are food related, sulfates, nitrates, all those -ites and -ates, and hormone related. So I can avoid the foods I know that bring them on, but I am 3-4 days every month. Doc says "that is too much". No shite sherlock!
And I realize that I am a little (okay a lot) sensitive about things being "all in your head", or comments about "mental" illnesses.
Post a Comment