Monday, April 28, 2008

I love my job

Ooooo my favorite messages to send...

"For some reason you are not enrolled in your required field experience for this semester... Have you been going?"

"You still need 2 hours of humanities or 3 hours of social/behavioral science. Uh, no they will not fit in your schedule next semester."

"You know that class you took that you thought was writing intensive/math proficient/met some university requirement? Uh, not so much."

The problems fall into one of two categories.
1) They thought the class they took met some requirement and it doesn't.
2) They missed a class to meet some requirement, and we did too.

Oh wait there is a third one:
3) They knew they needed a class but put it off and are secretly hoping we won't notice and it will all just go away.

And my favorite:
"You know how you thought you were graduating in the Spring? Uh, no, you're not."

Please, please, don't come cry in my office. Crap, I need to go get another box of kleenex.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Ah. This is where you keep your evil twin.

mathgeek said...

At the place where I taught, profs were strongy encouraged to become a freshman advisor. Sometimes you'd get kids who expressed an interest in your field of expertise, but most often not (they didn't get their "real" advisor until junior year). I often had nightmares about being the cause of someone not graduating on time (never mind that they are supposed to take some responsibility for it). Especially difficult were the Ed majors. Aack, thanks for bringing back memories. Well, at least it makes me not regret my career change. Sort of. Even thought the Best Boss in the World is deserting me on Friday. He definitely needed Kleenex in his office when he told me last week.

Seriously said...

Sorry for the boss leaving. I know that for the first time I have the bestest boss I have ever had. If she leaves, so do I. I will be thinking about you on Friday.

Here the faculty advises them on teaching things, and content courses for the ones that teach a specific subject. I make sure they are going to graduate and get certified.

I reread one transcript for a 1/2 hour yesterday trying to make it work. And have 53 emails sitting in my queue of students who want me to perform some kind of magic.

Leslie said...

SEEE!!!! OH look, you CAN perform magic. Even if you don't work at Hogwarts!

Seriously said...

That is the big joke of my office, that I am the "Progression Queen" and that I DO have a magic wand, and bing students on the head, "Yes, you can ____", "No, you don't get to ___".

LOL, I kid myself that I have so much power.