Again this will probably make no sense... and I will take a short lunch to make up for the blogging.
MJ likes to IM me at work. Constantly. He thinks that if I do not have a student in my office, I am not really doing anything, and I am fair game. (Okay, this doesn't count.) One of his favorite things to do, is bring up something important get me riled up and then say, "Let's not talk about it right now." He is also pessimistic (don't think that is the word I want, but it'll do) right now. Very afraid to try anything, cause he might get sick and it might not work out.
This is from this morning. And was the 3rd IM of the day:
mj: hey there
mj: what is Sarah's mom's name... from Childrens House, father works in Hill
T: Gwen
mj: http://www.youzeum.org/jobs.php
T: she uses a different last name, but I am not sure what
mj: check that out
mj: not sure I can do it
mj: but it would be cool
mj: I think I will talk to her about a job nevertheless
T: Looks good
T: and yes, you should
mj: did you click on the job descrption
T: You may not quite have the managerial experience... but you never know what could come of it. But it looks like what you would want to do long term, other than teach in a classroom
mj: yeah... I have managed a classroom... I have directed staff when I was at the science center
T: It looks like a big job
mj: small group mind you
mj: I know
mj: probably a 50 hour a week gig
mj: which is why I dont think I can do it
T: But it does look like something that would be right for you, big picture wise
mj: totally
mj: I love that sort of thing
T: You should talk to her
mj: developing curriculum is my gig
mj: I'm really good at it
T: yep
mj: I will
mj: but I will also have to tell her my limitations
T: yeah - but not right off the bat
mj: lets talk about it later
mj: I'm not doing anything today
T: k
mj: have classwork to do
mj: talk to you later
T: tata
I question whether I should have mentioned "lack of managerial experience" and the "big job" parts. Was that discouraging?
Gone by Lisa McMann
16 years ago


3 comments:
You were communicating with him as if he weren't debilitated by health conditions. That seems the RIGHT way to communicate. Pussy-footing around it seems wrong. (Ok. "Pussyfooting"? Wow. That word works in conversation. It's weird in the written form.)
Not sure...I agree in general with laggin, but also thinking about how I might want to look for excuses to try to get out of doing something scary, like blowing the "big job" comment out of proportion.
Tonks, what is the word on Anon?
I agree with the ladies. They are smart and correct. I love it when smart people speak. Keep going!
Post a Comment