Thursday, May 1, 2008

Brilliant

Warning: I just read this and severe babblage is contained. Continue at your own risk.


Why do I like to point out how stupid I am? No idea, unless I am subconsciously doing penance for being a bitch and calling other people stupid.

I do like to find other people doing bonehead things. I don't feel so bad then. I got an email at the beginning of lunch. The first couple of lines always pop-up so you can see if you want to read it right away or not. It was a report from the director of another department. Sorry it was late, thanks for your help gathering the info, blah, blah, blah. Yeah whatever, I will look at it later. He just emailed me again. He forgot to attach the report. I laughed. I love to catch other people being human.

Anyway.

So, I got a wild hair a couple of weeks ago (SHUT UP!), cuz I do that you know. I ordered a bunch of books from Amazon, because my nightstand was looking a little empty and I was worried I would run out of things to read (yes, that was sarcasm and I rolled my eyes so high, I think they are stuck). Now the Amazon ordering is normal. It is one of my impulsiveness things, but I benefit from of it and I have it under control. Sort of.

Sometimes I throw a random book in the order, just for cuz. Seemed like a good idea, kind of like the things you grab from next to the cash register at the grocery store, when you are checking out. And it is totally judging the book by its cover. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose.

Even when the books are bad, I usually finish them, just because I want to see how it ends up. Every once in a while I find something so bad, I actually stop reading it and just put it on the shelf.

No, I never throw out a book. I share them , give them away, but never throw them out. And I almost always buy hardback (or at least one of the big good quality paperbacks). Someday I will have my own library.

Wait. What was I saying? Rereading...

Oh yeah, so sometimes I do really stupid things, that only hurt myself and I should totally know better. And you could say "I told you so," if we had ever talked about it before.

(It's okay, your not supposed to be following this yet. Welcome to my brain.)

One of my impulses recently was "I Am Legend." No I did not see the movie. No I had no clue what the book was about. My train of thought was:
Will Smith was in the movie. I like Will Smith movies. I shall read the book.
Yeah, it looks like something is missing in that group of sentences. But that is how my brain operates. Welcome to my world.

Last night I finished the book. Sort of. Well, I finished the story. Let me explain. (All that was leading up to the next part. This is the stuff I want you to understand.)

First, I thought the book was science fiction. I like good science fiction. I assumed this would be good (see above). My dad comes to my house (stick with me here) and I hand him books to read, cuz he is incredibly bored at my house and he loves to read. I hadn't read "I Am Legend" yet. It was in the stack on my nightstand. Pretty quickly he gives it back. It is horror, not science fiction. Oh, okay. Well, I will still read it. It has Will Smith on the cover (see logic above).

So, I read the book. It is about vampires. Some people say zombies, I go with vampires. Reading, reading. The Will Smith character is supposedly the last man on earth that is not a vampire. The remaining "people" are divided into vampires and infected, with the infected people destined to turn into vampires. The infected still act vampirish. The story is about how he survives, what he does with his time, and how he tries to get rid of the vampires.

Just in case you decide to read the book, I will not give too much away. But, I am reading last night and I am about 2/3 through the book. I can tell we are coming up to a big part in the the book. AND... end of chapter, turn the page. And the scene changes. Okay, they are bringing something new into it I figure. And this is a little scene change (but no vampires). Okay, next chapter. New character, new scene. Huh? I flip ahead. And flip, and I do not see the Will Smith character mentioned any more.

I flip through the pages. I go back to the beginning. Me thinks there is something fishy going on. Book copywrited in 1995 (I think). Kay... and I turn to the internet, as I always do when I am stumped.

Hello wikipedia!
#1 - I Am Legend is a 1954 science fiction novel by Richard Matheson about the last man alive in a future Los Angeles, California.

1954. Oh-kay.
#2-The novel was a success and was adapted to film as The Last Man on Earth in 1964, as The Omega Man in 1971, and again in 2007 as I Am Legend.

Uh-huh
#3 and the kicker - Later releases of the novel include several of Matheson's short stories: Buried Talents, The Near Departed, Prey, Witch War, Dance of the Dead, Dress of White Silk, Mad House, Funeral, From Shadowed Places, and Person to Person.

Short stories.

Oh geez! The story was over 50 pages ago. I am now reading completely different stories.

And I am mad. I look at the book again. No where on the outside does it saying anything about including short stories. (like I would have noticed anyway) Two pages AFTER the copywrite page (not a table of contents mind you) it lists the stories and the dates they were published. Never would have noticed this if I wasn't looking for it.

So, I am crabbing and bitching and "Stupid book," "Stupid publishing compnay," "Worst book ever."

Today I am trying to think of it differently. IF, I had known what exactly was in the book, would I have enjoyed it? Probably. I just wish I would have known I was reading the end, when I was at the end. It would have made totally different sense.

So if you like slightly horror style stories (no real gore), you might like it. Just know that when you get to the words, "I am legend," it is done.


------------------------------------------------------------
I needed to put another picture up to look at.


And this one is for Mathgeek:


Hehehe :D

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Um, who the heck is in the "other picture"? I'm feeling lost.

That is a particularly good picture for Mathgeek. I'm not a huge fan but with that picture, I could be. He's Eldest's fav star too!

Me no do horror books. Yick.

Seriously said...

That would be Gary Oldman. He's been my crush for a long time, a LONG time. :D

Leslie said...

Ah. I didn't get THAT reference either.

On the name front, "Ms. Serious" or "Misserious" or "Mizserious"? I was working off "No, Seriously", misery, Mizzou, etc.

mathgeek said...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. How longtime is your crush, mizserious (okay, just trying it on for size, tonks)? I remember seeing mine on "21 Jump Street" when I was about 22 or so, and loved him just for his looks (who knew then that I would admire him for all of his quirky goodness years later).

Seriously said...

Ahhh, yes, I remember 21 Jump Street, and I was tote in love with him. He is just a semi-crush anymore.

The Gary Oldman crush kinda snuck up on me, not sure when I saw the first movie... Sid and Nancy 1986, Dracula 1992. One of those things where I just like everything he did type of actors. I think the episode on Friends, and he was funny, turned it to crush time. Now it's just yum. Harry Potter cemented it.

lol, don't get me started on this. oops too late :D