Thursday, May 15, 2008

More Insurance Drama


So on with the insurance drama... MJ has my insurance and a student insurance. He stopped his student insurance for half of last year and just had mine. In Jan he decided that too much insurance really wasn't a bad thing in his case, so he added the student insurance back. I am not sure how they decide what bills go to what insurance, but now the student insurance is refusing to pay any bills, because he let his coverage lapse, and everything is now a prior condition.

Except, he never let his insurance coverage totally lapse, he was always covered under mine. So since he has had continuous coverage, they (student insurance=Aetna) have to cover his medical bills, prior condition or not.

The conversations he has had with people have been reported to me from his point of view obviously. I have to take his word for all of it. But keep in mind, that he tends to seriously over-exagerate, and hate and business or company. Customer Service reps of any kind are all representatives of the devil.

Of course they do not want to do this, and require proof of coverage. No biggie, but my insurance changed providers in January. He calls United Health Care (last year's provider) to ask for a Verification of Coverage document. They tell him, "We don't provide those, you have to go through your employer's benefits department."

So he calls benefits department at the university. First they tell him they don't know what he is talking about, then they don't do that, and then they change their minds and tell him they will mail it out. Usually in town we get things the next day. He checks the mail everyday, no letter. Tuesday was a week from when he asked for it through my work. He gets himself all worked up and is furious. Benefits and insurance companies have all been swooped up into one evil entity. He calls me in the afternoon and asks that I call benefits and ask for this document because he is "about to explode. And will just yell at them."

I call and the woman that answers the phone is pleasant. I tell her what I need, but I am not sure who exactly I need to talk to.

She says she can take care of it.
Great! Please make sure MJ's name is on it please.
No problem. I will get this ready and drop it in the mail.
Can I pick it up instead?
Sure, I will have it ready tomorrow by noon.
Great thanks!

End of story. Naturally, I am thinking, "What is the big deal? She knew what I was talking about and she was helpful. Well, whatever." I go home and tell him what she said, and I will go pick it up. His response, "Why does it take so long?" Yelling. Apparently the next day wasn't soon enough. This is when he asks me how I got the number I called. I tell him I just went through the university website, and clicked until I got to Benefits Staff Directory, and called the main number. He wants the phone number. I go to the desktop computer and link to the page. I go back into the bedroom (because this is where he rules is universe from) and tell him the page is up, whenever he is ready for the number. But he is on his laptop and already found it. Okey dokey, I am not needed and go tend to the short children.

Next thing I know he wants me to read this email he has written to the benefits manager and cc'd everybody up to the Director of Human Resources.

Sorry that was just way too much setup for this. Email exchange follows:

From: MJ (MU-Student)
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:07 PM
To: Manager of Staff and Faculty Benefits Chick
Cc: Associate Vice-President of Benefits Dude
Subject: Staff failure to follow through

Ms. Manager, I would like to inform you of my frustration in regards to obtaining a certificate of coverage for health insurance (Verification of Prior Coverage) from your staff. I called a week ago (5/7/08) the main phone number and talked to the woman who answered the phone. Unfortunately, I do not recall her name. I was told that she would send out this certificate the following day. After waiting a week I asked my wife to call and request a certificate of coverage. Again, she was told it would be ready the following day. She will be picking it up at your offices tomorrow. My wife (he gives my name here) is a staff member at MU and I am a dependent on her health insurance policy.

Why is this frustrating? Over a month ago I contacted United Healthcare requesting a certificate of coverage from them. I was told by them, at that time, they had sent us a copy in January of 2008, but that they would send another copy to me. I waited a month, which was partially my mistake. On 5/7/08, I contacted them to request the certificate of coverage and was told they did not send those out. I was misinformed by their staff, and I would need to contact the Human Resources office at MU. I related all of this to your staff member who answered the phone. I also related the importance of getting this document.

Why do I need a certificate of coverage? I have Aetna Student Health insurance through MU. They have been requesting that I send proof of coverage for two months. They are refusing to pay their portion of my medical bills until I send them this document. I have bone marrow cancer. My wife and I have enough things to worry about and spend our time and energy on than calling and writing to you. And I'm sure that this is not the kind of letter you want to receive. Please do us the courtesy and follow up with your staff, to ensure that the certificate of coverage is ready when my wife picks it up tomorrow (5/15/08).

Thank you for your time regarding this matter.
---------------------------------------------------
From: Manager of Staff and Faculty Benefits Chick
Date: May 15, 2008 8:55:08 AM CDT
To: MJ (MU-Student)
Cc: Associate Vice-President of Benefits Dude
Subject: RE: Staff failure to follow through

Mr. MJ,

I am sorry that there has been an issue with your receiving the requested Certificate of Coverage. I have talked with the staff member who took your call and her understanding was that you wanted to come in and pick it up from us so it has been in our office waiting to be picked up since the day that you called. I apologize for this misunderstanding. I have scanned the document and attached in case this would be helpful for you and would not require anyone to come and pick up. The one I have attached is the updated document with additional information that your spouse requested yesterday. In any case we will keep the document at the front desk for pick up or if you prefer, we can mail.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to e-mail or call me.
------------------------------------------------------
He forwards the above to me...
------------------------------------------------------
From: Moi
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:49 AM
To: Manager of Staff and Faculty Benefits Chick; Staff Person Who Unfortunately Answered the Phone and Deal with Us Chick
Cc: MJ (MU-Student)
Subject: FW: Staff failure to follow through

Manager Chick and Staff Chick,
I want to thank you for your quick response, both on the phone with me yesterday, and in my husband’s email from last night. I very much appreciate your timeliness in resolving this matter. As you can tell from my husband’s email, this a trying time for us, and essential that we have all our paperwork in order and “by-the-book.”

Again thank you very much for you time,
Moi
----------------------------------------------------------------
From: Manager of Staff and Faculty Benefits Chick
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:56 AM
To: Moi; Staff Chick
Cc: MJ; Associate Vice-President of Benefits Dude
Subject: RE: Staff failure to follow through

Moi –

Please be sure to let us know if there is anything else we can assist with.

Do you want us to mail the letter we have here in the office or will the e-mail this morning work for what you need?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Blah, blah, blah

----------------------------------------------------------------
From: Unfortunate Staff Chick
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:33 AM
To: Moi; MJ
Cc: Manager of Staff and Faculty Benefits Chick; Associate Vice-President of Benefits Dude
Subject: RE: Staff failure to follow through
Mr. & Mrs.. MJ,

My sincere apologies regarding this miscommunication. I, unfortunately, misunderstood that it was to be picked up and its been waiting here in our office. I can truly understand the frustration that yourself & spouse have been experiencing during such a difficult time and I certainly never meant to contribute to it. If I can do anything else to assist you, please feel free to contact me @ --- or you can contact me by email at: StaffChick@umsystem.edu . I did notice the email you sent earlier went to (person with a slightly different version of the same name) who also works with the University of Missouri but in a different department. My name in Outlook shows only (shorter version of same name). Again, my sincere apologies and best wishes.

Respectfully,
Staff Chick
----------------------------------------------------------
MJ made a response, but unfortunately I deleted it. It was polite and a thank you, but in the same tone as his original.

This is what I do at work. *Sigh* [and participate in crazy 2 hour 3-way email conversations, but that is a different post ;) ]

5 comments:

mathgeek said...

Umm, you didn't happen to tell MJ who my employer is, did you? (no, not one of those mentioned, just same industry) Could make for some long uncomfortable silences in another week. I guess sitting through long uncomfortable silences would be better than getting yelled at.

Seriously said...

Nah - I am not sure if he even realizes what your career is, much less the industry. He can be kind of oblivious about things that do not directly involve him. But he will be fine if it comes up. And he would never yell at you. I'd have to scratch his eyes out. ;)

Leslie said...

Ha ha! Mathgeek works for the devil!

mathgeek said...

Doh! Surely laggin has worked for the devil at some point in her illustrious career?

Seriously said...

hehehe... between you two, I think the devil has got things covered. lol, never thought about it that way. I am sure we can work in the horrid educational system in this country, and the always evil advertising industry...