
Not exactly Deep Thoughts, but semi-funnies...
First MJ asked me within a half-hour of my getting home last night if I had editted his paper yet (see IM post below). Um, NO! I put it on his nightstand for him to look at first. We are seriously lucky I remembered to bring it home. (Yes, i had to print it at work because we are out of ink at home.) I believe at this point he shook his finger at me. Yah, yah, whatever. Grumble, grumble, I go get the paper (its his final Master's doc which was due I am sure weeks ago.)
I am sure that it comes a major surprise to everyone, especially given the evidence of my writing here, but I am critique happy when it comes to editing. And I butchered his paper.
Not the content, just things like the sentence structure and minor word choices, to keep it varied and intelligent sounding. I think I let one paragraph go without changes. And that one was really well written. It got a star. It almost got a happy face, but I restrained myself. (You can take the girl out of the classroom, but you can't take the teacher out of the girl).
Before I handed it back over, I felt the need to explain first. That I wasn't familiar with the vocabulary and structure of these documents, so my suggestions may not be the best choices. That what I wrote were suggestions and simply options if he wanted them. And all I tried to do was keep the tone of the writing consistent throughout. I have been editing his work for 3 years and I still feel the need to justify everything.
One thing, that bugs me that people do is use the word "think". "I think that..." (and I probably do it, but that is not the point). In something informative or persuasive, "think" is wishy-washy. I circled the word think throughout. I tried to encourage him to change it to "I believe that..." when it needed to be stated in this way, or just to drop it all together when it was something that he is trying to present as true. (instead of "it might be" change it to "it is". Just seems stronger.)
Got interrupted and lost my train of thought... anyway that is what I did for 4 hours last night. :D Yeah. I will be interested to see what of my changes he uses.
Number 2 is cute.
Today is CM's end of school picnic/hike. Her assignment was to bring cookies. Twice a day, every day, for the last two weeks she has asked about those damn cookies, and let me know that it is okay to take them early. First thing in the morning and last thing at night. MJ goes to the store Tuesday. "Did you get C's cookies?" "Of course." This morning I see a note on top of his keys. "Cookies"
While I am getting (ack, interrupted again)
So I am in the bathroom this morning getting ready for work. The bathroom door comes flying open and in comes the girl, "BUG SPRAY!" And good morning to you too.
"I HAVE to have bug spray for today!"
"Okay sweets, we have some."
"And sunscreen! I need sunscreen!"
"We have that too. I will find it before I leave."
"Can you take me to school at 9?"
"No honey, I have to be at work before that. Daddy-"
"I can go at 8. I don't want to be late!!!"
All I could do was give her big hugs. "You won't be late. We will remind daddy when you have to be there."
I am looking for the SkinSoSoft bug stuff and sunscreen and I hear,
"You can't wear a skirt!"
Uh-oh...
"T!"
I work up a blank look, "What's going on?"
"Can she wear a skirt?" She has on the this cute little pink swishy thing with lace trim.
"No, sweetie. You can't wear a skirt on a hike and to play outside. Remember your teacher told you to wear something you could get dirty."
"But I don't have anything!" Tears are threatening.
Daddy chimes back in, "Go put some shorts on."
"I don't have any shorts!"
Okay, guess I have to pick out clothes too. Except her shorts do seem to be missing. I just went through her dresser a couple of weeks ago and I know I found a couple of pair that should still fit and put them back. Dunno. Poof!
I scrounge around, find a goodwill bag, and give her a pair of old shorts, a jean skirt with shorts in them, and a pair of her brothers shorts. The old shorts barely covered her butt and gave her a serious wedgie. So guess what she went with. The skirt fit perfectly.
I hope daddy didn't make her change into K's old shorts. I think they were too tight in the waist anyway. Guess I am going shopping for shorts.


No comments:
Post a Comment