Favorite Book vs. Best Book. It just occurred to me that those could be two different things. But if I try to analyze this too much I will never get anywhere.
I can never just pick one of anything and I can't do it with books either. I have definitely been stuck on a theme. I have read a lot of Fantasy / Science Fiction this year. I have tried to read a few of my other preferred genres, but just couldn't get into them. Next year I am sure. The only book I can think of that I truly enjoyed outside of the Fantasy realm was Night Fall by Nelson DeMille. I am a sucker for easy to read conspiracy-government-military fiction. I am going have to go back and dig through Dad's bookcase, because he had a couple of Demilles and got 3 more for Christmas.Okay, so what are my Favorites and are also the Best that I have read this year.
I have to start with Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It is not the Best book I have read, but it is one of my favorites. I would say it is the winner in the Best Guilty Pleasure Category. I was sucked in, addicted, and obsessed. I was right there with all the teenagers and TwiMoms. I was all over Twilight anything. I still am, but I have loosened my grip a bit and can let other things in. Anyway. No it is not great Literature, but it is a good, easy, entertaining read. Try not to get too stuck on the words "chuckled" and "mumurred" and "perfect". And so a vampire glitters in the sun people, Let It Go. :D
Favorite Book has to be Halfway to the the Grave by Jeaniene Frost. Yep, it's got vampires in it. The heroine Kat, is half vampire, and kicks ass. She also is impatient, smart mouthed and flawed. I want to be her when I grow up. She also falls in love with a vampire, who does not glitter, but can cry. This one is more action than romance, but there are some super nummy sex scenes included (all for the low, low price of... j/k). The third book in the series was released yesterday and my friendly neighborhood UPS man should be bringing it to me today. Guess what I am doing on New Year's Day?
However, the BEST Book of the Year as far as I am concerned is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This is a futuristic science fiction book written for the young adult market. I love well-done adolescent fiction. The Hunger Games is extremely well-written, and very entertaining. It is one of the rare books that you know how it is "supposed" to end, but you are not sure if the author is going to follow the rules.Okey, dokey - Runners Up
Bitten by Kelly Armstrong, Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews, and Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs. All Urban Fantasy, in trade paperback only, and book one of a series. I am anxiously awating reading the next ones up. I am sure I forgot something really good, because I always do.
Books I am looking forward to reading in 2009 (that I know of now):
At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost
An Early Grave by Jeaneine Frost
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Society of S Susan Hubbard
The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway
Evermore by Alison Noel
Fade By Lisa McMann
Manic: A Memoir by Terri Cheney
Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs
Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr


4 comments:
I am in awe of your reading organization. I have reading ADD I think. I do lots of reading and have stacks of books to read next. However, I'll be at a thrift store or the library, see something and think, "I MUST read this NOW!"
In fact, I'm sitting here right now wondering if Cosco is open tomorrow so I can get a copy of "Scarpetta," which is would love to read on the LOONG ride home. Not that I don't have three other books with me.
Total ADD, I tell you.
My favorites of the year fell into an entirely different genre than yours, as I discovered and fell in love with authors Mary Kay Andrews/Kathy Hogan Trocheck (same woman) and Jennifer Weiner. Unfortunately, I've read everything that both of them have written, so they'll need to get crackin' or I'll need to find a new writer to obsess over.
Happy new year! Happy reading!
I have a HUGE variety of genre interests, but there is that whole obsession issue. There just has to be action and a bit of humor (like smart-ass comments) no matter what the genre.
I am addicted to Amazon and book blogs. I also obsess and have no self control. My to-be-read pile is enormous. I hear about about a book that sounds interesting or someone really liked, it goes beyond I want it. I MUST HAVE IT. NOW!
I believe the actual to-be-read pile has about 10 books. I have pre-ordered about 5 that will be released sometime this year. I have 12 books in my shopping cart at Amazon. Not sure how many in the "save for later" cart, and my wish list is a joke. I guess it is just for in case I run out of books.
I did have a knee jerk reaction to getting Scarpetta, but then I thought I may have missed the last Kay Scarpetta book, so look at the book list, and I cannot remember which ones I read. So now I have to go back and fill in the gaps... Scarpetta is currently on hold. Let me know if it was good though.
wth did my comment go? Arrgh. Sometimes when I comment on my phone, they don't show up. VERY irritating.
I think my favorite of the year was The Host. But truthfully, I haven't been reading as much as usual. I did just finish Jodi Picoult's latest and found it very interesting. This one takes on religion and the death penalty.
Well crap, I told you I would forget something. Change of Heart from Jodi Picoult was an excellent book. And it tied into Keeping Faith which I loved. (the book and the fact that they tied in together). Okay fine... make it four books.
I thought about The Host a bunch of times, while I was looking for my list. Honestly, I wish I would have read it before I read Twilight. I think it was better written and less melodramatic, but I just couldn't get past comparing the two. I really hope she is working on another adult book. I want to see what else she has got.
Post a Comment