Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It's only Wednesday?


You have got to be frickin' kidding me! It is only 7 days until Christmas? Okay, that is just not funny! I so need a vacation.

So Sunday, we get ice pellets. The husband runs through the house shrieking something about Armageddon and ice. He is so melodramatic. Monday morning I check the news and the public schools have canceled school, but not the Montessori and not the University (duh!). So I pull on my boots and jacket and walk out to the middle of the street. It's crunchy, but not slippery.

Big Sigh. I go in and check my work email. No emails stating that out of fear of putting employee lives in danger, the university is calling a snow day. Bigger Sigh. As I am getting ready for work, the husband decides that it is not safe for him to take the children to school in his truck. That is probably true.

(I demanded that he replace the battery and tires ASAP. I am really tired of his crappy truck.)

It is finals week. He has 2 papers due. I am not going to even bother to ask how far he is on them (or if he has even started). He is keeping the kids home. He cannot work on his paper. I tell him that work will not be busy. If he needs me to come home to let me know.

Yeah, yeah, whatever. He doesn't call.

I get home and he is in the most lovely mood because the kids have been running around like little wild banshees. What the heck is a banshee anyway? Oh wait. I know this one. Celtic screaming women or something like that. He has also decided that his "piece of shit" cell phone has finally died and we need to "deal with that".

1. It just needs a new battery you dork!
2. Then let's go phone shopping. Duh!

Can you say DRAMA?!? And we think I am bad. So, since the children held him at gunpoint and stated that "Thou shalt not write!" He now has to work Monday evening.

Whatever. I am sure that something very different will happen, like he will sit his ass down on the bed and be on his laptop all night, while the rest of the family watches TV or something to entertain ourselves until bedtime.

Ooooo, I forgot to tell you. Last week, the girl is crawling around on my bed, when all of the sudden I hear, "Uh Oh. I didn't do it Mom!" Her foot is caught in a rip in the sheet. To which her father, AKA the husband begins to berate her for tearing the bed sheet. I go over to inspect the damage, and HOLD THE PHONE, it has ripped because the fabric has been worn out! and not for some good reason, but because someone's ass is planted there most of the day.

Okay back to the story... So his paper is due Wednesday. Tuesday morning I wake up and it is snowing. This is on top of the ice from the day before. I check the closings. Yep, their school is canceled. Nope, the university was not. Gee, didn't see that one coming. I tell the husband that the kids can't go to school. He says, oh well, that's just the way it goes, and his paper will have to be late.

Oh No! Mr Frickin' Hypocrite! who just threatened to flunk students for not doing their work to the quality and quantity they should. I tell him, nope, I will stay home with the kids so he can work on his paper. He gets real quiet and stares at the wall. I can just see him trying to work some way out of this... He finished about 5-ish and headed to campus to give a presentation on it. I would love to know how he was going to get out of his presentation...

In the meantime - his advisor told him that although she is wildly in love with him and he walks on water, and he can have an "A" just for allowing her to look at his name, he does actually need to formally apply to the doctoral program if he is going to be able to teach a class next semester.

Hallelujah! Listen to the angels sing! Yes, I would rather he get his head in the right place and just get a fucking job, but this is better than the wandering, blubbering mess that was wearing out my sheets and making me look for sharp objects. So he has his masters, is officially a doctoral candidate and will be teaching a class next semester. Supposedly he is also working with his advisor on developing some on-line classes.

I have a cold. Bleh!

So my mom says something to the kids about seeing them on Christmas Eve. WTF? We usually try for about a week of togetherness at Christmas. For all my bah humbug and shit, I like the hanging out together part. So I am thinking that I have finally pushed her too far. All my whining and complaining and uncommunicativeness, and she doesn't want to be at my house for more than a couple of days. The husband also thinks this is odd, so I call her today and casually ask how long she thinks she will be able to stay. Oh probably until THURSDAY, she says. OMG!
Um, mom? Are you sure you don't want to stay a little longer? Coming on Christmas Eve and leaving on Christmas seems a tad rushed. Don't cha think?

Ha ha ha... blah, blah, blah... yada yada yada... okay so maybe they will come on Tuesday the 23rd instead (depending on the weather) and Friday take Sisk to the airport in St. Louis, then come back for a couple of days.

Whew! That sounds more like it. I suppose I should go get a Christmas tree.

I heard back from the breeder about my little furry friends. I can have both. I asked the husband for confirmation that I can go Saturday and pick them up. He doesn't want to talk about it just this minute. His mind is occupied. ARRGGGHHH!!!! I so hate not know what is going on. Considering that the breeder is 2 hours away in KC, that is a 4 hours block I need to squeeze into my weekend, where I cannot stop to see my girlies, who will be only a few miles/minutes away and stop for hugs and kisses because I still have to get all my Christmas decorations up and buy my children Christmas presents and get ready for Christmas company. Thank god I took the 23rd and 24th off work. Is it as hard to read my writing as I think it is?

Well, I guess I just had a few things to say. Some day I will have to work on conciseness.

Anyone that likes giggles should regularly be reading Cake Wrecks. Normally it shares the horrendousnous that some people call backed goods, such as:
This reminds me of one of the nightmare toys from that awful boy who lived next door in Toy Story created.

But last week they also shared these beauties from Cake Nouveau. This is art. Everything on the cake is edible.
How did she do this? Do you think she shaved/sculpted traditional round cakes, or maybe she has silicone cake forms that she just she to peel away...
And...


Wait for it...

I knew that would get ya, LMAO!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking at that Santa cake periodically today trying to figure out what the hell it reminds me of and am delighted that you hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

Oh, I think if you stabbed your husband, just a little (a fork to the hand maybe) it's okay. There. That's my Christmas gift to you. Go forth and be brutal!

mathgeek said...

Huh? In KC to get RATS, but not to see girlfriends? No fair.

Seriously said...

You know I would drop everything to come to see you in a heartbeat. All you have to do is ask. But geez, some of you people lead such busy lives!

Something better happen soon, or I am gonna burst!