Fall semester's grades have posted. I now have stuff to do at work. YAY!!!!! Feast or famine around here. So let's see how brief I can be. I am the only one here in my office. That so sucks!! Why are we even here in this time of economic crisis and budget cuts and hiring freezes?I have finally figured out how to schedule doctors appointments. It really isn't that difficult surprisingly. Although they do ask why you need to come in, which sounds like a trick question to me.
I went and saw an ENT doctor Wednesday. I felt like such a dork saying that I was there because my ears ring, and I can't hear very well. Yes, I know that is what I am supposed to say, and he is the right doctor to say it to, but still... we are talking about me. He feels my jaw and looks in my ears. When he is feeling my jaw joint (that sounds dirty, lol) he is telling me to open and close my mouth. Except he is covering my ears and I CAN'T HEAR HIM. So, I am completely lost on following directions. So, he starts in on it could be this or that, but probably not that or this. And I am sure it is not a tumor, which I didn't think it was. I am not in pain (at least not from my ears), just annoyed. 80% sure it is an allergic inner ear.... WTF? I am allergic to my ears? blah... blah... blah... It is like a Peanuts cartoon. He is talking, I am listening, but all I hear is wah, wah, wah... audiologist... wah, wah, wah... blood tests... blah, blah, blah... MRI... blah, blah, blah.... I am sure it is treatable.
I am pretty sure I had a blank look on my face and he wondered if I was coherent at all.
And MRI? Huh?
So, he scooted me over to the hospital for blood tests. Which you cannot just go into the lab with your paperwork have your blood drawn and leave. Oh no. You have to check in with registration. She scanned my driver's licence, insurance card, filled out a shit-load of paperwork, made me sign my life away and gave me one of those hospital bracelets, before I even went to the lab. Yes, a BLOOD TEST.
On Tuesday afternoon I get to go have the MRI. Sounds boring. I don't think they will let me bring my iPod in. I hear you have to be perfectly still for a half hour or something. Oh yeah, that will happen.
PS - I forgot the best part. There is a chance that my ear issues could be sodium related. So starting Monday I am to cut all salt out of my diet. All? All. I questioned what all meant. He said any added salt. But what about prepackaged food? That is loaded with salt. I got that look again from him. I wasn't trying to be annoying. I usually am really nice to my doctors. He said All.
Okay, I am not stupid. I know you have to have some sodium for nutrition. And I understand that the concept of added salts, BUT... I need cold hard facts to work with. When i was pregnant with the boy, I was put on a 500mg of sodium a day diet. That is near impossible, but I could at least work with this. Right now, I got nothing. I need to call his nurse and see if I can get her to give me a number to work with.
If cutting out salt does it, I am going to be pissed. Salt is one of my favorite food groups. I am not sure how I am supposed to do this for a month.
Anyway, I did get a few other doctor's appointments scheduled. I just need to get one with the dentist and the eye doctor. They aren't open today.
Sunday, I am talking to my mom on the phone and look up to see my son with a plastic coated twist tie, trying to fasten in to the cable cord where it comes from the wall. I sputtered for a second with a some, "No!" "Wait!" "Stop!" "Hang on Mom!" I knew there was no immediate danger, it wasn't a knife in a electric socket, but it was a close enough principle of the matter. I went and got the husband, drug him into the room by the ear and stood and pointed at the boy and babbled monosyllabic words until he got the idea.
The the son showed my a paperclip wrapped by the twist tie and he was asking for a battery. He wanted to make a magnet. I shoved the husband, who has his master's degree in Science Education over with "Talk to him!" and "Teachable Moment..."I bought the boy a "My First Magnet Kit" for Christmas. My mom who was on the phone and listening to this whole thing laughed and thought it was hilarious. I guess payback is a bitch.


2 comments:
Oh wow -- sodium IS my favorite food group. My sympathies.
I hope they can find a cause and solution for your ear thing. I've had chronic ear infections my entire life, and ear things just suck.
BTW, Merry Christmas! I like your photo.
The boy is adorable. Ihave to go peruse your FB pictures later. Yay for getting in to a doctor! Yay for tests! Yay for getting to the bottom of all this stuff.
Yay! Yay! Yay!
Post a Comment