This was a truly disturbing movie. I cannot honestly say if I liked it or not. Was it funny? Yes. No. Maybe. I laughed. But was it because it was funny, or because it was stupid? It is either the dumbest movie I have actually sat through or the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. I am just not sure which.
The main character, Peter, is a songwriter for a TV program that his girlfriend, Sarah, stars in. She breaks up with him, which destroys him. Picture every show you have every seen where there is a breakup and we watch the girl sit in her apartment unable to do anything but eat ice cream, watch TV, wear his shirt and cry, for 2 weeks straight. Now switch it, so it is a guy not a girl. Okay, so he doesn't eat ice cream or wear her clothes, but he does cry. A lot. He decides to go away for a while and takes a trip to Hawaii (which she told him was her favorite place to vacation). Lo and behold, she is there. With someone else. Blah, blah, blah... hilarity (supposed) ensues.
They showed Jason Segal's penis 4 times. I have never seen so much full frontal male nudity outside of an x-rated movie. Not that I have ever seen an x-rated movie. Because I haven't. So don't think I have. Anyway, I am not sure what the point was. It was like - "Here is my penis!" and "Here is my penis again!" and "Did you notice, "Here is my penis, in case you missed it!" I don't care if it is a spoiler, I think you should be prepared. There is nothing like a surprise penis to make you choke on your popcorn. But, just in case you didn't have your fill, we are graced with one more shot of it at the end.
It did make me laugh. I am not sure if it was nervous, omg they showed a penis, giggles. Or if it was OMG, they did not just do that! laughter. But this is kind of how the whole movie went. It was so stupid, it was brilliant. Russell Brand was hilarious, and I can so NOT stand him.
That, however, is not the disturbing part. Although you end up hating Sarah, I think (like the rest of the movie I am so confused about that part too), she explains why she left him in the end. There is a word that equates to jumping up and down and pointing at the screen, yelling, "Yes! Yes! What she said!" that escapes me right now. But that was it. I could have turned to the husband and said the exact same thing. Totally. Completely. Snippet of it below.
I looked and looked, and could not find the whole thing. The sad thing is that the husband knew. As she was talking, he got very quiet and very still. After the "sweat pants" comment, he looked down at his, yes, sweat pants and laughed a little nervously. He tried to make a joke and then quit before he finished. I was stunned, and all I could think was, I have got to find a transcript of this... and DOES HE GET IT?
Later gaters!
Gone by Lisa McMann
16 years ago


3 comments:
Almost makes me want to see the movie, just to see the last part (not to see the penis. got plenty of those running around my house thank you). Oh, and do realize, as you are denying the x-rated movie thing, that there are people who read your blog that have known you a very, very long time, missy.
Hmm, if he does get it, do you think it will change anything?
Well. I AM buying you this movie. Even is you love...err...hate it.
No, it will change nothing. Change will come only with making his life very very uncomfortable...
and when did we ever watch an x-rated movie? Was I very drunk?
Post a Comment