Thursday, October 2, 2008

Not an author

Okay, writing sucks! Reading is much easier.

I got stuck on my first attempt. Then bored with it. Then inspired by something else. The tough part (other than lack of talent) is that the ideas come too fast. I keep a notebook with me, and a computer is almost always in reach... but I still can't get them down fast enough. And then - POOF! - they're gone.

Sigh...

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Start with short stories?

Anonymous said...

Take a class! You're at the university. Take one night class. Audit a class. Mark can care for the kids one night a week. Maybe he can get a job too, but stick with the babysitting for now. But a class forces you to just do it. Nothing's better than a deadline to push your ass to get it on paper.

Anonymous said...

Oh. And start with short stories.

Anonymous said...

We are connected, you'll have to read my blog today. I went back to what I love best, and that is to write. No one gets me, I'm spinning out of control right now and the only effort I have is to keep it together for my kids. Writing is the only thing that keeps me sane. You are creative, I know this!

Seriously said...

It is the thing to do :D Sisk is writing too. He is putting a little more effort into it. He's taking a class.

Anonymous said...

Give yourself a deadline. Nothing pushes you to focus like a deadline. Whether it's a chapter a month, or two pages a day, when you are forced to write, the clutter clears much more quickly.

Seriously said...

I try for 30-60 minutes a day at work right now. At lunch time I can shut my door and concentrate.

It's not really enough, but I can't help working it out in my head, ummm... a lot. So computer time really is just typing time.

I need to get my computer into a different room at home. Right now it is in the middle of the room. Me getting on the computer is like getting on the phone. It is just a signal that it is time to bug mom.