Tuesday, October 14, 2008

You know how one thing leads to another?


So, I saw this post over on Laggin's blog. It caught my attention because grammar and spelling and stuff (totally off-topic... when I was teaching we referred to this as MUGS-mechanics, usage, grammar, and spelling. One of the components of a writing grade was MUGS.) like that catch my attention.

Dilemna

Confusion furrows my brow. Dilemna? with an "N"? Crap, I always thought it was Dilemma. with 2 "M"s. In all things written (much less most other things as well) Laggin is always right. Which means that I am wrong. Which means that I have made an ass of myself my whole life spelling it wrong.

Yeah, I get dramatic about things like this. We will ignore the fact that I am not sure I have ever written dilemma or dilemna in my whole life. But if I did, I would have used to "M"s.

Well, this bothers me. So for some asinine (I like that word. I get to use ass in public and it is legitimate and acceptable) reason, I need to investigate. Don't ask, I do not have a reason. Google is my friend. When in doubt or even uncertain, Google it. So I do.

I type in dilemna. Google asks if I meant "dilemma". Hunh. Well, I wasn't expecting that. Now I am thoroughly confused. But I must persevere. BTW-blogspot spellcheck is screaming at me over the dilemna/dilemma issue. Guess which one it likes. One of the results is "Dilemma or Dilemna: How do you spell it?" It is a whole thread discussing The Dilemma over Dilemna. Apparently there is this whole controversy about the spelling of this word. It is like the Obama/McCain of the spelling world. Hehe, not really, but I thought it was funny. (And why the heck can't I underline in Blogspot? Stupid frickin' frackin'...)

There was no clear winner in this debate. Some people were taught one way, some another. Some people cited a dictionary. It almost sounded regional, as in region of the world. But then that idea fell apart quickly.

Just a little glimpse of how my mind works. Scary ain't it? And we wonder why I can't concentrate on one thing for too long.

Moral of the story - I have been spelling it right (whew!). Laggin has been spelling it right too (I can still have faith in the world.) And I am going to use the word predicament from now on.

Carry on poppets.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

You are just Ms. Dilemna, now aren't you?

And, thank you very much, I can't spell that word without it looking wrong now.

Seriously said...

LMAO - I typed it so many times yesterday, that they both looked wrong after a while. And this morning, dilemna with an "N" looks right. So now, IF I ever write the word, I am going to use 2 "M"s and then stare at it and try to figure out what is wrong.

I am so screwed.

mathgeek said...

Wow. I'm just going to sit back and watch the freak show. Both of you!