Monday, October 20, 2008

Distractions

Because you know I need them...

I came to work today in spite of a headache and an earache. "A" for effort. I am going home as soon as my office mates return from lunch. My brain isn't functioning enough to actually think and I have cleared all my projects... so I actually have 20 minutes to kill. I suppose I could go find something technical and educational to read, but I am not going to.

Siskbert has pointed out to me that having a deadline or some such thing may be what's needed to spur activity. I have been attempting to write (emphasis on attempting), but I have days where I don't do anything towards this.

Side Note-
I guard my flash drive with life. It has all of my work on it. I try to remember to copy it to my laptop to back it up... but I am still paranoid that something will happen to it. They really need to design these so they are more flush with the computers. Plugging it into my computer at work causes it to stick out the front. Given that my CPU is in a cabinet... closing the door would snap it off. On my lap top, it sticks out the side. I am afraid one of my kids will brush up against it, and snap it off. So I try to remember not to leave it plugged in... this should not be a difficult thing, but...

Back to goals - I found NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writers Month. The call it a contest or competition, but it isn't really. Your only competition is yourself and the prize is a certificate. The goal is to write 50,000 words in one month, beginning November 1st. That's a short novel. It think the contest organizers said it is actually the length of a novella, but the National Novella Writers Month just doesn't have the same ring to it.

It sounds a little odd, but it's challenge is quantity not quality. The theory is that once you get the words on paper, you can go back and work on quality. So fine, I am going to give it a shot. I am upping my personal goal to 100,000 words. I already have 14,000 done and considering how much of the story I have told, that is not much. And you are not supposed to start the word count until November 1st anyway...

If you are interested to see how I am doing on this goal I am going to keep track (or try to anyway) on the sidebar to the right. This is where I am at so far. Wish me g'luck!

'Zokutou'Zokutou
13,769 / 100,000
(13.8%)

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Yeah for goals!!! Have you done anything on the marriage counseling goal.

(Gah. My nagginess even bothers ME! Just tell me to go to hell.)

Seriously said...

No comment. Yet.