Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Same Ol', Same Ol'

Also known as So-So. As in how I am doing. For anyone keeping track. Things are consistent. I could recite all my current woes, but unfortunately they are the same as my previous woes. So to avoid sounding like an extremely annoying broken record, refer to earlier posts to review.

On an up note, I have been able to work on my drivel a bit. I am up to 21 pages double spaced and 7000ish words. Knowing how much I blah, blah, blah... it probably is twice what it should be. The fact is that, given what I have in my head, it is only about 1/4 of the story and that is a bit, well... intimidating.

For those of you who do like to keep track of random and/or useless bits of information...
A Novel has at least 50,000 words (I have read 60,000 other places)
A Novela has between 17,500 and 50,000 words
A Novelette has between 7,500 and 17,500
A Short Story has between 1,000 and 7,500
And Flash Fiction has less than 1,000 words
from Wikipedia

Don't ask me what the heck the difference is between the last 4 other than length. I know Novels and Short Stories. I am sure that I learned about this in my college writing and lit classes, but that has been a while ago.

I haven't actually counted them (so I am going to just have to trust my resources), but a page is about 250 words. So a novel has at least 200 - 240 pages. I don't know about you, but I am not sure when the last time was that I read a book that was only 200 pages long. The one I am working on now is 350ish, and I thought it was rather thin. This could be personal prejudice. I read quickly and if they are too sparse, I feel like I am being ripped off. So I buy longer books so it is worth my effort and money. That probably made no sense what-so-ever.

See? I can blather on about nothing for way too long.
(When I guest teach a class, I warn them to tell me how much time up front and to watch the clock for me, because I can go on for hours. Sorry, that was more blather.)

I have nothing else. Thanks for listening.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, the way I see it you've probably just "bashed" my version of a short story by actually having a list of what justifies it by the number of words it would HAVE to contain. I will no longer feel validated as a writer (of sorts) until the day I actually get someone to publish more than a poem in a stupid poetry contest. No really, thanks, I'm going to leave now!

Seriously said...

I didn't know you were a published author!?! I missed that conversation. Was I drunk? Probably, huh?

An "A" on a story I wrote in college is the best I can do.

I am just reporting on my blathering drivel. Not bashing anything. Certainly not your writing prowess. Might have been bashing my own... *grins*

Just reporting what I read. I was surprised at the different lengths and definitions... I can justify anything all by my lonesome, I would certainly never need Wikipedia to do it for me. I think. Maybe.

What was the point? I got lost... Yeah, I know... Big Shock!

**HUGS**

Leslie said...

Buying longer books to justify the expense makes TOTAL sense!

Anonymous said...

My point is, or was at the time...is a story defined by the quality of its content or by the number of words it contains? I choose the content.
You did read, poetry contest right?
LYMY!!

Seriously said...

I gotcha. I definitely prefer quality over quantity. A long boring book becomes like a car wreck... I am only looking to see how bad it gets. (I haven't seen my friendly UPS man with a box of love from Amazon in over a week. He is going to start to feel neglected. I think I will go order something. *skips off happily*)

I buy so many books that sometimes I forget that point. I hit the young adult section and they have combined two books into one and it is nice and fat at a bargain price... I want to do backflips. LMAO

I can't remember what made me look that factoid up in the first place. But I naturally assume everyone is as fascinated with all the same things I am.

Contest, huh? You are still up on me. I am too big of a coward to submit anything. I can't believe I ever made it through my Fiction writing classes where we did peer editing and evaluation.