
Good News - the air conditioning has been fixed. Yay!!! MJ and children brought a fan yesterday afternoon. How sweet.
Bad News/Good News - got into see the dentist about my chipped molar (and they have air conditioning) yesterday afternoon.
Bad News - My tooth is chipped enough that it needs a flipping crown on it, which they want to charge me 1300 frickin’ dollars for. Yes, I have %*%@$)@) dental insurance, but it sucks! I don’t think I have ever seen good dental insurance (and if you have it I don’t want to hear about it). But for “major” dental work they only pay 50% (wtf? that is what we need insurance for!) and only up to $1500 a year. Yeah, that sounds like a nice amount… but my last trip to the dentist got me 5 fillings. Bottom line is I would have to pay almost 1000 farking dollars to get my tooth fixed. Yeah, I got that laying around. Let me just dig into my pocket.
Needless to say… I didn’t get my tooth fixed.
Good news - it doesn’t hurt… yet.
Bad news - it does have a sharp edge (actually two), so I am scraping up the inside of my cheek. And I am a picker. I keep sticking my tongue in it to make sure the chip is still there.
*sighes* I gotta find me another dentist... It can't possibly really cost that much.


3 comments:
Buy some of that wax kids use on braces? That should help short term.
Things I have learned in the last four years (I am the enemy, or at least I work for the enemy). 1) 50% for major is standard. It is not common to see a plan that pays more than 50%, unless it is for in-network only, at maybe 60%. 2) $1500 is not bad for annual max; often it is $1000, sometimes $2000. 3) It is difficult to turn a profit on dental insurance. Trust me. Now don't get me wrong, I sympathize and empathize (I don't have $1300 laying around either), I just have to share the view from the enemy's side.
Does MU have a dental college? That's one way to save a bunch of money. Even if you don't go that far, do seek out a second opinion; some dentists do charge quite a bit more than others.
Actually MG, I appreciate your feedback, makes me a little less angry then just another frickin frackin expensive thing to deal with. I do think this dentist over-charges, they have a pretty high-tech large setup and they advertise on TV.
I am going to go to another dentist I have seen here for another opinion. I just didn't think they were quite aggressive enough. I am just really picky when it comes to my teeth.
Post a Comment