Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday Fried


Oops, I missed Thursday, and Wednesday should have been wonderings, not wanderings. And so far I have misspelled every word I have typed and had to redo it. Maybe I will keep this short. Just forgive any typos I don't catch.

Yesterday began my not-so-favorite times of the year. Yeah, I know, it's summer, it should be WooHoo. Not here. At work. Summertime is crazy time. Big shock, I hate meeting new people, I hate talking in front of groups. I need at least 50% of my day to be alone time. (Usually 50% of my job is paper/computer work, 50% students.) Well guess what summer is here (work)?

It is called Summer Welcome. Sounds nice, huh? HAH! Not so much! All incoming freshman are required to attend summer Wlecome. Transfer students are highly encouraged to attend summer welcome. They don't attend they don't get to register for classes until the week before school.

Summer Welcome is a 2-day orientation. For us that means we give a presentation to all incoming education students the first day. (Yes, I have to stand in front of a group and talk for about an hour). Fun, fun, get to let mommies and daddies and little snookems know that we have seriously high requirements for continued enrollment. And we don't offer programs for every certification program the state has approved. No, we don't have foreign language, no we don't have PE/health. (and a crap load of others, but those are the biggies that we do not have).

Then on the second day, we get to meet with the little darlings and mommy and daddy and try to register them, and let them know what they are in for the next 4 years, and no there is not space for electives, and yes I was serious when I said that you have to have a 22 ACT and a 2.750 GPA, plus a list of other things to start your junior year. (yes, that is the other project I am trying to complete and time is ticking away.) BTW, I wouldn't have been admitted to the program here, even with my final 3.850 I got from my graduating university.

I give them a list of classes to pick from, "These are my suggestions. What do you think? Is there anything you would like to take that I haven't mentioned?" Then I bypass sweetie's blank stare and wait for mommy and daddy to tell me what their baby wants to register for. For the most part I seem to answer mommy and daddy's questions and watch the new student shrug. I love telling them that they are now the grown-up and they have to make the decisions, and I can guide them, and tell them if they are on the right path, but ultimately this is all their responsibility.

The only part that is remotely entertaining is seeing the visual exchange with the student realizes they have to authorize mommy and daddy to be in their meeting with me. They can say no, and Mommy and daddy have to leave. Junior's eyes get big, mommy and daddy get the look of panic on their faces. Love it. Yeah, I know it is different when you are the parent, but I am not yet, so I don't care.

Anyway it is GO GO GO until mid July. Plus I am not done with evaluating all the students that want to begin their junior year. This task I like. I just never have enough time to do it and enjoy it.

So all of this makes for a cranky Rowan. How is this different than any other day, you ask. Nasty, cranky and mean is my normal self. We just crank the dial up to 10 now and add exhausted and bitch-on-wheels to the mix. So I will apologize ahead of time... lots of bitching ahead.

Not much scheduled for the weekend. No babysitter. She's got a church thing, dam her. CM wants a girl day, so I guess we will do that. She thought ice cream and drawing flowers all over her body sounded like the right thing for that. I am thinking shopping myself. Sunday morning we get to go haunt Best Buy again bright and early, and continue our Wii hunt. Someone thinks we need to get there really early. I think that is stupid and not all of us need to go. Hell, I will go and try to get one.

Meh! I have to go back to work now. And not so short. Sorry, don't know how to do short. Hope you have a loverly (not a typo, did this one on purpose) weekend.

--------------------------------------

Oh did I show you this one? no matter what your political flavor, this is funny!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Somehow I missed this on Friday. It reminds me very much of my summer working at the U. Even then parents had a hard time letting go! The questions about men in girls' dorms until 2 a.m. were the most fun.