Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love

I just finished the above. I have not determined what my reaction should be to it. As a book, it was very good, and I enjoyed it. I am just not sure what the message is for me, what I should take away from it. Am I supposed to get divorced and travel? (Shush... I know that is not it.)

I think I need to go through it and look at her words of wisdom.

I do know that it hit really close to home. Which in some ways is a good thing, because it helps me realize that I am not some horrible person for how I feel about things, or the thoughts that race through my head. (Yes, I have felt like a poor excuse for a human being more than once.)

On the downside, I cannot apply her solutions to my life, no matter how nice it sounds at times. So it brings on feelings of helplessness that I am not happy with things, but I have no idea what to do about it.

Sometimes I just don't want to be me anymore. How did I make such a mess of things. ...no wonder I like to escape into fantasy worlds...

More thoughts when I go through the book again.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Here's what I took away from the book (ignore the first 2 or 3, they are just interesting, not truly helpful): http://underdaroof.blogspot.com/2008/03/lovely-little-bits.html.

The ending bit of this post is why I wanted you to read the book. Not because I expected you to do yoga, or meditate or get divorced and travel. But because there is lovely advice about accepting the crap that life sends your way--ALL our ways.

Anonymous said...

You are not a mess. You're just living life. THAT'S the mess. I'm not even living your life, and mine's a mess often. So you're doing fine. Just avoid the rest of life. It's what I do. I like my hidie hole.