Monday, June 23, 2008

Twilight Series


Yes, Laggin, I am hooked. I am going to be so sad when I finish the last book. (BTW, she is currently working on retelling Twilight from Edward's point of view.) I read "New Moon", the second book this weekend.

I cried, again. Cried in the first one, expect to cry in the 3rd and 4th (when it comes out). I didn't want to rush through to the 3rd book. So I started "The Host" instead.
This is the author's attempt at adult fiction. I am not very far into it, but the only difference I see at this point between this and Twilight is the age of the characters. The maturity of the writing/subject matter doesn't seem to be much different. The subject is different but still supernatural. This one has aliens coming to earth and taking over. Seems to be less violent than War of the Worlds and this point.

The best thing (in addition to her writing) about Twilight are the characters. I haven't felt the characters from The Host yet, but I am hoping.

I think I know what appeals to me so strongly about the Twilight series, but I am going to have to think on it some more. This has totally hit my writing button. I really want to put ideas that I have to paper (okay, computer)... but I am so hesitant. That is stupid, I know. But I am so impatient, I don't think I can write fast enough. As well as the Demand-Resistance issue. I am just so resistant to it because I am afraid it will be bad, and I will be reminded, again, that I can't write. And since that is one of my greatest wishes, I just hate being reminded that I can't.

And you know how I am going to be when the movie comes out. Even if I can't get used to the girl who plays Bella and remebering her from Zathura.

And you do know that the guy who played Cedric from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is Edward... right? Right?

Blah, blah, blah... going back to work now.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

I don't mind the movie characters although I know all the teenagers are upset about it. I figure I'll hate the movie, but I still want to see it.

I cannot convince Younger to read the book. She's just got this whole prejudice against anything "fantasy". Sigh. She's missing out.

I need to got get "Host". It'd be good for vacation next month! I'm re-reading Jodi Picoult's "The Pact" right now. I just finished "19 Minutes" by her--it's another great one. Youger is just starting in on the Picoults. She loved "My Sister's Keeper" (which Boyfrondo is reading this summer too as it's part of their Honors English summer reading). Eldest has been devouring Picoult's for years.

Seriously said...

It isn't how I pictured them (Cedric is way too scrawny), but they never are... I just like to see the books come to life, and hopefully there will have been enough time between finishing the books and the movie that I won't be too disappointed (as I usually am with movie versions).

I need to actually put together a list of the Picoult books I have read. I am starting to confuse myself. My mom gets them too.

If we can manage to get together before you go on vacation, I can loan you my "Host" if you don't want your own...

Anonymous said...

Okay, are these girlie chick-lit fantastical "Yoah, God, it's me Margarette, the blood sucker."?

Seriously said...

Absolutely not. The are young adult (not children's) novels, human girl, boy vampire, heavy on teenage romance (in a good way, not a Harlequin way), with a lot of angst.

Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but with more feeling.

Exactly why teenagers love them. (and me, since I have the emotional level of a teenager...)

Leslie said...

Anon, Eldest's Boyfrondo LOVED the books. He's been devouring them all summer. He even wrote an Honors English report on the first one. (Although he did get mocked by a few guys in the jock-crowd.)

siskbert said...

Hmm, a guy liked 'em too eh? I might have to give 'em a chance then. Afterall, Potter sure didn't turn out too badly now did it.

Seriously said...

They is yummy. Makes me all a quiver just thinking about it. :D

siskbert said...

Do NOT say "quiver" to your brother! Ick!