Monday, June 2, 2008

Monday Musings

Warning: Lots of babbling ahead. As usual, you don't have to really read it all. Just tell me you did. ;)

Laggin starts her new job today, so won't be available to play with during the day. Darn conscientious people. (oh my goodness, I spelled that right the first time.)

Wait... what? It's JUNE? Get out!

I went to go see Indiana Jones on Saturday. If you like the Indiana movies, it is good. It was fun to go to the movies sans children. It was fun just to get out of the house sans children. And Brittany agreed to come back next weekend, so I may get to go to the movies again. Then I got him to go to Target to get shorts for the girl-child. I got to spend 15 whole minutes there. Not that big of a deal anyway. Their selection sucked the big one. I bought 2 pair that give her "wedgies" and I need to take back. Then we went to Best Buy to check on the Wii status. But they get shipments on Friday and Sunday, so check back. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. There were 3 sales people there and 2 of them seemed to think there would be a good chance that they would have them Sunday. And IF they were there they would be put out first thing.

We watched "Once" that night. Anon bought it for me. Maybe you can explain what you thought was so awesome about it. It was a well done indie-film. But, I could barely understand any of the characters (some not at all) except the main guy. I am glad they explained that they girl was from Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, I forget. But I was sure her accent wasn't Irish. Then I hated the ending. Not to give too much away, just in case you decide to watch it. But it was one of those, where they leave the end wide open. I hate that! I want to know how the story ends damnit. And if that really was the ending, there is no more story, then that sucked. A little too real life for me. I like my movies to be unrealistic. Sorry, Anon, thank you so much for thinking of me, but I didn't get the appeal of this one. Please tell me what got to you about it.

Back to Friday. My order from Amazon came. I love Amazon.com. Really, I want to marry it, I love it so much. I paid extra for a prime membership, so I don't pay shipping either. Given how much I order, I am most certainly getting my money's worth. Anyway, I ordered Guitar Hero for MJ for Father's day. (more about the Wii saga later.) WooHoo, I am set for Father's Day way before it happens. Between that and my dad's birthday, it is a banner year for me being on time. I also got a biography on someone who climbed Mount Everest (fascinated with the subject), Twilight (need to see what the big deal is... and I love good adolescent fiction), and a hard bound copy of "The Time Traveler's Wife". I love that book and decided I wanted a nice copy of it. Not only was mine the paperback version (Anon did you get me that one?), some liquid of some sort had gotten on it, so it was all warped and discolored. So anyway, I was excited when I realized they had a hardcover version. (Just in case you were unaware, books are a serious weakness for me. I would give up food for books.)

*deep breath* Anyway, I got the hardback version. I didn't pay attention at the time, but it was also the "Today Show Book Club" version. Whatever, I sometimes get the books from the Oprah book clubs. EXCEPT THE OPRAH BOOK CLUB STICKERS COME OFF. Not did it not come off, it wasn't even a sticker! It was actually part of the printed cover. I am thinking about sending it back and just getting the paperback.

At some point I chipped a molar. I have no idea how. I don't remember biting anything hard (mayhaps a popcorn kernel? but I usually spit those out). And I don't remember anything unusual in my mouth. I just realize that after eating some popcorn that I had one of the thin shells left over stuck in my teeth. And I could feel one on my molar too. First one came out no problem, just like always. But the other, I keep scraping and scraping with my finger nail and I could not get it off. Went to go look in the mirror and go at it with floss, when I realized that I could see more filling that usual. That tooth has the ugly silver filling. And it was protruding further that the tooth. And yep, there is a decent sized v-shaped chip in it. Great, off to the dentist, cause although it doesn't hurt, it actually has a sharp edge (both the tooth and the filling) and I am scrapping up the inside of my cheek. Ah well, maybe they will pull the silver filling out (can they do that) and replace it with tooth colored.

Sunday. The last stay home day, as the girl-child puts it. (It is so stuffy in my office. Mondays are horrible in the summer here. The building is closed up and air is turned off. Blech!)

Sorry, distracted. That never happens.

Sunday, we ate breakfast and got dressed bright and early (for a Sunday anyway) and were at Best Buy when they opened at 10, with about 6-7 other people. They opened they doors and dutifully marched back to the game section. Single file no less. I let everyone pass me, since I saw no reason for me to race up there, when MJ was fronting the line. I hear 2 sales people chatting with another customer about the Wiis. So of course I stop and listen. They had Wiis in the back room, locked up, but they were holding them for the ad next Sunday and they were surprised they were not in this weeks ad. I know retail, and those puppies are not going to be for sale until they are good and ready. There is not law saying that they have to sell certain items if they are in the store. But there is one that says it is advertised at a certain price, then they have to sell them at that price. I bet you anything, the ad will say "quanities limited" or "subject to stock on hand" or some such thing. Anyway, I tell MJ thinking it is a good thing that they will be available in a week. Well, he goes ballistic. He is furious that if they have the things in the store that they won't sell him one. He stayed mad for a couple of hours.

The whole family watched "The Golden Compass". I am horrid at symbolism, so I didn't get the connection to religion at all. I could see how it was about the evil government. I dunno, maybe it is the same thing in the author's eyes. Either way it scared the crap out of DK, which in turn scared they girl-child. The kid has seen all the Star Wars movies and the first Harry Potter and Enchanted. I don't know what it was about this one that got to him. But, he was hysterical crying crawling into my lap. The battle scenes seem to do it. Yeah, they are intense, but he has seen things like this before. If you saw the movie, the polar bear battle was the biggie. I tried to tell him that it was pretend, they weren't really fighting, and they weren't even real bears, they were drawn on a computer. No good. Boy, did I feel like a bad mom. I should have known better. When we all saw "The Water Horse" in the theater they got upset when the soldiers shot at the monster. *sigh*

Last night MJ and I watched "Batman: The Beginning" (cuz the next one is coming out you know...) Was very good. And the last face shot was of Gary Oldman. :D

This morning, the girl child was sitting in my bed with MJ's headphones on, rocking out. Head bob and all. I couldn't figure out what she was listening to, so I pulled the headphones off her so I could hear. Silence. Nada. She was pretending to listen to music on the headphones. I put them back on her, she returned to rocking out and starting singing for good measure.

I wish I was a kid again.

It is still hot and stuffy in my office. Hello? Every hear of air conditioning? Are you still reading this? Don't you have something better to do? *Hugs*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, regarding "Once". I just liked it. It was about music, so thought you might like it. It had romance in a very real context, so I thought you might like it. It has to do about someone following their passions and giving their all to accomplish it, so I thought you might like it. And it is poignant and beautiful in the way it treats the love story in such a realistic fashion ... oops, didn't like it. :) It's just a movie that happens and sometimes, that's all it has to be. Sorry T. I do better nex' time.

Leslie said...

I love your girl child. She's the best!

I saw Tonks tonight and she commented about how adorable your kids were! She's going to Facebook you.