Monday, July 7, 2008

So, anyway...


I tried to sign into Blogger 3 times with my work email and password, and got really ticked when it kept telling me it was wrong. This would be about how my brain is working today.

Ordered my next set of Amazon books. They are "in transit". Won't tell me where they are, but I should get them Wednesday. MJ was fine with this purchase, since they are writing books, and he is intrigued that I am writing again. Hope he isn't expecting too much. And of course I didn't tell him how many books I actually ordered. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.

The weekend ended up being fine for the most part. I didn't kill anyone or say anything totally out of line. I remembered to get up and walk away. Step-father in law continued to be annoying. The man doesn't know how to shut up. No concept of comfortable silence. A lull in live human conversation, he must fill it with blather, and half the time he has no clue what he is talking about. Example-He kept saying that he watched a program that said the earth was 40 billion light-years old. Could not convince him it was not the earth, possibly the universe, but I would have to check that. It was like we were not talking at all. I dunno, maybe he did not have his hearing aid in. Wish I would have had that option.

Mom in law was the same as always.

Nephew in law is actually 17. O.O (I should have been able to figure that one out.) Step-dad in law bossed him around like he was 12. "Get off the computer." "There are crazies on the internet. Quit talking to them." "Time to come in the house. It is dark now." "Listen to your uncle about the fireworks or you will not be able to light any more." Kudos to nephew, he took it all in stride. He had never seen fireworks before-so was thrilled with the whole thing. After we lit off ours, MJ took the family to a parking lot on a high spot so they could see the big ones being set off at the stadium.

Funny boy (who is way taller than me) pulled me aside, "Aunt Rowan (made me giggle, not used to being called aunt), is it legal to set off fireworks here?" Not technically, but don't worry about it. "Can they arrest us." They won't arrest us. They will arrest MJ, it is his house. "Oh. So this is okay?" Don't worry about it.

Then he went nuts. MJ is a pyro nut. He likes to take the firecrackers and create his own pyrotechnics, like taking 10 firecrackers and combining them with a sparkler, so it fizzles and then all BANG at once. I had to make sure he told Eagle to be careful, that fingers could be blown off.

That is all we needed. "Hi... can you get a message to Eagle's mom... yeah all the way out in the jungle. We are in the ER, but don't worry he still has 7 fingers." Fireworks injuries are one of my many paranoias.

THEN! Because I don't have enough guilt in my life. Mom in law bought an apple pie and stuck candles in it so they could wish MJ and I a Happy Birthday. and if that weren't bad enough, she gave me $100 for my birthday. Okay, I shouldn't have taken it on principle. But I didn't. I tucked it into my bra with a big smile and started spending it in my head. I am such a bitch. But one that is a little richer today. Eagle thought it was hilarious that I was only 6 months younger than his mom. Yeah, fucking hilarious. I had to go lay down.

He ended up being a nice guy who was very polite (when we weren't on the Wii), helpful and patient with the kids. He was absolutely stunned that we played Guitar Hero. "I didn't know grown-ups played this."

MJ let me sleep in Saturday, and they all left before I drug my sorry ass out of bed. Headed to KC to stay for a day or two. I did not give them your phone numbers. You're welcome.

Saturday, I picked up my book, planted my butt in a chair and didn't move the rest of the day. Sunday was the same until about 1pm, when I had to get ready to come to work and do a presentation. Doing my last one this afternoon, Praise the Lord! Oh I forgot. Sunday they all dragged me to the pool. Can I tell you how much I LOVE to be in the hot sunny with incredible humidity. Oh yes, sweat poring off me gets me all excited. Oooo, and put me in a swimsuit and I couldn't be happier. I tried to decline the invit, but MJ guilted me into going. Something about spending time with my family. Blah, blah, blah. Took a book, laid down under the umbrella. Didn't move until it was time to leave.

Saturday we bought a new blow up pool for the kids to put at the bottom of their slide (because we can NEVER put it away at the end of the season and leave it blown up so it can get ruined and make us look all white trash. Can you say Mizzorah flavah?) Where was I? Oh yes, got the kids a pool. MJ filled it up and the girl child convinced me to change into my suit (!!!!) and go sit in it. Stepped in, stepped right back out. Damn water was like ice. I hate to sweat, but I also hate cold water. What can I say? I am addicted to comfort and spoiled by modern living. I went back into the aire-conditioned house, put on my yoga pants and sweatshirt, and sat back down in my chair with my book.

Hmmm wonder what I should spend my birthday money on...

(BTW, Laggin you win for weekend drama. More than happy to pass the scepter over.)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Drama pretty much sucks a big one.

Glad it ended up ok. I went to the pool too! But I didn't hate it too much. I only go once or twice a year.