Monday, March 31, 2008

Weekend Report

Hmmm... where to start. Unfortunately I don't have teenagers to keep me entertained with their antics, so I just have to provide my own. The boy child is trying to get over his
cold/flu (but not trying hard enough). So he was unhappy all weekend. Fever-y, headache-y, coughing and a runny nose, and fell asleep a couple of times. Which naturally meant he didn't sleep well at night and ended up in my bed, which means I didn't sleep well.

I kept my date with Turbo Tax, but it didn't want to play nice. Sort of. Had two problems, not sure if one was operator error, of if I can blame both of them on software. First, MJ worked is an ind contractor in Calif for two weeks (taught at a educational training). I assumed that he would have to pay Calif taxes on it. (The question was, "Did you earn any income from another state?" Well, yeah, he did.) So I need the state forms for Calif and Missouri. I made sure that I got the version with federal and state. So I download California, only to find out that only ONE state comes with. I have to pay $37 for additional states. If I had known that I would have downloaded Missouri and done Calif by hand. Then when I get done, it didn't calculate any taxes for Calif. ????? Not sure if I did something wrong or if we really don't owe.

The other thing was that the kids have a trust from their other grandpa for educational expenses and it pays their tuition at the Montessori school. Well apparently they have to pay taxes on this. Uh, I am not really sure what they are paying taxes on. The form had interest income and dividends. So anyway, my brother in law (who is a dick BTW) tells me I can file income tax for them or include it on mine. Well it would be a heck of a lot easier just to put it on mine. So I get to the question about income for a child. Yay! It's there. EXCEPT (of course there had to be a but), it wants the info from a 1099. I have a Schedule K-1 (1041) not a 1099. No where else can I find where I am supposed to enter it. On the K-1 it says to enter the info on Line 9a. Turbo Tax doesn't do it this way.

What was really stupid about this is I am nitpicking all of these deductions making sure I do it right (Hah!), and I really didn't have to enter any of them. We would get a full refund anyway. But my analness isn't comfortable doing it half-assed.

And that is basically how the weekend went. We did have more conversation about the Bone Marrow Transplant, and insurance, and where to do it. But I am sick of talking about it.

And my head hurts. So, I am done for now. Later gaters!
(posting this without proofing, so apologies if it is all messed up.)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Excuse me while I go say a prayer thanking God for letting me fall in love with an accountant!

Sorry Kai is sick. Muy suckito! (Now I'm making up Spanish words. Not sure what it is with me this week.)