Monday, November 24, 2008

Was It Just One Weekend?


Start at the beginning or work backwards?

Right. From the start.

So I race out of here on Friday afternoon, home to pack for my overnight in KC, take care of some business with the husband and attend Parent-Teacher conferences for the children. They are brilliant and delightful, thank you for asking.

And I am on the road. And I forgot the directions to Laggin's house. O-kay. East, no wait west for 2 hours, then worry about it. A little texting for directions on a busy freeway at 60 mph and there!

Because she lives the life as care-taker to the busy teenagers, it was go-go-go. Dad drops off one teenager, we get rid of the other - and then we were free. We got to the theater early enough for a bit of shopping. We went into "Forever 21" and realized I am not, but did manage to find one shirt to buy anyway.

The theater has this really cool idea to cater to the adult set. On the upper level, is a bar. They also serve a bit of food. Laggin get a quesedilla and I order taquitos. Her food is served promptly and mine is not. Mine should not have been served at all. After she finished her food and beverage we are escorted to our seats in the VIP balcony. Assigned seats in a movie theater. Excellent concept, and there are no bad seats on this balcony. They bring my taquitos into the balcony about an hour after they are ordered. As I said, they should have just forgotten all about them. They were horrid. And way, way, way too spicy. And no guac and no sour cream. I think it took them at least a half hour to bring Laggin's popcorn.

The Diet Coke was fine.

The movie. Hmmm... I was sort of disappointed. I knew I would be. It was absolutely impossible to live up to expectations. I wish they would have left some of the story points out and concentrated more deeply on other parts... I wanted to get sucked into the romance. But I didn't cry. Not once. No angst. No tears for me. I think I shall have to see it again just to be sure.

I downloaded the soundtrack. The Rob Pattinson songs are growing on me.

(I am wondering how many people are reading this and thinking, "WHAT THE HELL IS SHE TALKING ABOUT?")

Saturday I read this on Stephenie Meyer's website:

SUMMIT ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES
TWILIGHT SEQUEL - NEW MOON

Los Angeles, CA November 22, 2008 — Summit Entertainment announced today that the studio is officially moving forward with the production of NEW MOON, the second installment of its filmed franchise TWILIGHT, the action-packed, modern day vampire love story. The movie will be based on the second novel in author Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series titled, New Moon. The first movie in the TWILIGHT franchise, the self-titled TWILIGHT, arrived in theaters this weekend to sold-out showings.

Stephenie Meyer stated, "I don't think any other author has had a more positive experience with the makers of her movie adaptation than I have had with Summit Entertainment. I'm thrilled to have the chance to work with them again on NEW MOON."

Starring Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, TWILIGHT tells the story of 17-year-old Bella Swan who moves to the small town of Forks, Washington to live with her father, and becomes drawn to Edward Cullen, a pale, mysterious classmate who seems determined to push her away. But neither can deny the attraction that pulls them together...even when Edward confides that he and his family are vampires. Their unorthodox romance puts her in physical danger when Edward's nemesis comes to town and sets his sights on Bella.


End of movie news.

Friday night I am exhausted and have a headache. Well, duh, I am still up at midnight. Saturday morning I go out for breakfast with Laggin and youngest. We go clothes shopping for me and were quite successful, thank you very much. My head starts twinging while we are at Old Navy, but I have accomplished the clothing goal and we wrap it up. I can hunt down shoes and bras on another day.

We get back to Laggin's house about 1:30ish and my head is continuing to twinge. This makes me nervous and I decide that with a 2 hour drive I better hit the road. Hugs and kisses all around. Way too quick but utterly delightful.

I am not sure how far I got before I realized that the twinge was moving into migraine land. Digging through my purse I have nothing but Tylenol. Take 4 and chug-a-lug my diet coke. Dig into my dark chocolate M&Ms. (I have no Imitrex with me. My doctor prescribed back-up plan is Excedrin Migraine, which is Tylenol, aspirin and caffeine. So I am trying to get as much Tylenol and caffeine in my system as I can stand.) No good. At the halfway point I am sick, sick, sick. I debate on pulling over because all I want is to lie down, but these frickin' headaches have been known to knock me out for days, and all I can think about is being home. The miles creep by like the minutes on a clock on the last day of school. I never thought I was going to get home.

I get to my house and the husband has parked in the middle of the driveway. I park in the street, run into the house, straight to my bathroom for a date with the porcelain god.

I had a few moments of coherency Saturday evening and Sunday, but for the most part I was in zombie land. Basically that means I crawl into bed, lie in the dark, don't move, don't speak, don't sleep, and fight the urge to die until it goes away. That was sometime in the middle of last night. I guess about 36 hours. Which isn't TOO bad, I have had worse. I was fully prepared to call in sick today and tomorrow, and cancel Thanksgiving.

My migraines are usually brought on by chemical allergies. Such as food preservatives.

I blame the Taquitos.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved how you wrote your entry, but I'm so sorry to hear you had a migraine and the movie wasn't meeting your expectations.
I do hope you feel better, and I'll blame the darn taquitos too!

Leslie said...

You didn't mention your headache...ARRGH!!! You could have stayed and adopted the guest room for the week. MJ wouldn't have noticed. Car-man wouldn't have minded in the least.

I'm SOOOO sorry you ended up feeling badly. :(

But the first part twas fun, no?

For Myself said...

Ouchies. I hate me a migraine. Hope you're feeling well again!

Seriously said...

Laggin - do you know how tempting it is to move in and never leave?

Anyway it was still just twinging when I left, and I was hoping to keep it down to a dull roar.

Either way it was more than worth it. I still blame the taquitos.

mathgeek said...

Still jealous that I couldn't be there, even with a mediocre movie review. And SOOO sorry about the migraine. I don't know how velo-dude could survive without a supply of Imitrex around at all times. His are usually stress-induced, although I suspect some food connections as well.