Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fried Brains Anyone?


Cause my brain is toast. Okay, you don't fry toast. But you get my point.

I am slammed at work. At the end of the semester it goes nuts around here (I work at a University). I have to evaluate between 200-400 students (depends on whether it is the end of Spring, Fall, or Summer semester) for meeting college requirements. That means I have to print a page from my database and a transcript for each student going into their junior year. Then I have to compare the two and look for requirements being met.

I have to look for 6+ courses (depending on which major they have), make sure they have the appropriate grades in all of them. Hand calculate overall GPAs for all of them. Decide whether to grant or deny them admission to their chosen program. We have 13 different programs/degrees, and they all have different requirements. And I have to have it done in 1-2 weeks. In the summer it is one week. Not to mention that these students are freaking out about whether or not they are going to get in and signing up for classes that begin in 1 1/2 weeks. I get at least 50 emails every day asking, "Do you know yet?" For some of the programs faculty has to either approve my recommendation or pare them down (because there are too many).

And my office assistant is out this week, so I am running all over the place delivering stuff. Bleh!

Of course, this is the week that I have decided to try to do with out my Ambien. I have replaced it with Benedryl. (I was taking meletonin too, but it doesn't seem to do anything.) I know I am replacing one crutch with another, but I am considering it a step down process. Bad thing is it doesn't work as well as the Ambien. Midnight I am still awake... but I am at least falling asleep a little earlier. And I don't wake up 3 times a night. So we will see.

I am so tired right now, that I could easily lay my head down on my desk and take a nap. Why can't this happen at 10pm?

On to other things...

Anyone that knows him, think Michael Phelps looks like Siskbert? From certain angles during the Olympics it is scary how similar they are.

I cut my 5-year old son's hair Sunday. He has needed a haircut for about 2 months now. It was so bad he was tilting his head back to see, and last week that didn't cut it and he was constantly pushing it out of his eyes. Told the husband that if he didn't take the boy for a haircut last week that I was doing it. This may sound all minor, but the husband is insistent that the children's hair not be too short, and is paranoid of them getting a bad haircut. To make my life easier (re-not dealing with him yelling and being huffy), I give on the haircuts.

On Friday, I get an IM from the husband (I get these several times a day, but that is another story), saying it just wasn't going to happen and could I just take care of his hair. Normally this would be that big of the deal, except he is a STAY AT HOME dad this summer. I could get into a whole barrel full of gripes about that, but I will save that one.

WELL, I am far too lazy to actually take him somewhere to get his hair cut, so I just did it. I cut the husband's hair, because he is paranoid about his hair too. I don't do too bad of a job. I just gave the boy the same haircut I give the husband and it turned out pretty cute. Of course, because he is 5 and wiggles constantly it wasn't perfect, so Monday I had to even it out and get the left over strands in the back. I think I took 2 inches off.

What else? Oh yeah, I am writing as much as I can. I have the plot all worked out, I think. I am sure I will make changes, but at least I have a plan. The hardest part was making the order of events logical and the characters believable. So now I am fleshing it out, actually writing scenes.

I have tried to think about what my goal is here other than just doing it. I figured out that I want people to FEEL something, that it actually touches them. In all this figuring, I realized the main reason that I like books, and music, and movies, and TV is that it actually makes ME feel something. One of my problems is that I am so closed off that real life doesn't feel real to me. Nothing really touches me. It is very difficult for something to actually make me feel some kind of emotion. The books and music and movies do that to me. I don't know why, and I know it is not necessarily a good thing, but much of the time I prefer the fantasy world rather than the real world.

Back to the writing... home life is not conducive to writing. No one leaves me alone to think and type. So I just keep a notebook with me to keep track of ideas to use later. It is very frustrating that I only have about 25 pages typed up. And it really is still just a skeleton. A try to write during my lunch break, but it seems like I just get going and lunch is over.

In a week the husband is supposed to take the kids to my parents to a 4 day visit (I can't get away from work that week). He asked if I wanted him to come home and leave the kids there for a bit. I must have had a horrified expression on my face because he dropped it immediately. I probably bruised his ego, but I was able to say a little later that I was going to use that time to write. Which was okay with him.

And it is now time for me to go back to the grind. Forgive any typing errors, I am not going proofing this.

Oh yeah, and there is a poll off to the right ---> You can pick more than one.

'Kay I am really going now.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I am so proud of you for the writing. Yeeeeah, YOU! (That was cheerleader style. Sorry. Kill me in September.)

As for Sisk and Phelps. oh em gee. YESSS. However, sadly I made a disturbingly sexual comment about Phelps over on Carolyn Online today. So combining these two thoughts has me a bit weirded out. (Nothing against you Sisk, but you're more a little brother type, than a sexual type for me . . . if ya know what I mean.)

God. Somebody just shut me up today.

I've clearly wasted too many brain cells on teenagers this past week.

siskbert said...

RE: Phelps...I'LL TAKE IT! I'LL TAKE IT! Now give me my gold medal! Though, I am thinking that the female sibling will be winning that with her first book. In other words, consider little bro in awe of big sis. And back to Laggin's comment about Phelps, you go right ahead. Then tell me all about it. ;)

Seriously said...

You do know it will be drivel right? Oh well, at least it will be my drivel.

When I said the Sisk/Phelps thing, the husband agreed right away. It is not straight on but more 3/4 head turn and then it gets identical. The resemblance is scary.

mathgeek said...

I love drivel. I will especially love your drivel, if I ever have the privelege of reading it.

Phelps = Siskbert, oh yes I can buy that, despite the many years it's been since I've seen Sisk. According to laggin's mom, however, Phelps apparently takes after laggin's bro, not rowan's, at least in athletic style.

Leslie said...

Math Geek, haven't we alrady established that my mother is delusional?