Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Plan


There is a plan. It is written in pencil, but still it is a plan.

Why in pencil do you ask? Only because I tend to be a wee bit impulsive, and I want to make sure that I am making my plan thoughtfully and not impulsively. Last time I made a plan impulsively, I got myself this job that makes me want to stab my eyes out.

What's that? Oh what is this so-called Plan?

First, I get to quit this job. To coincide with my children's summer break and I will be home to parent my children instead of send them off to summer school and daycare (which the husband is adamantly opposed to. Don't ask why. That is a whole other Oprah that we just don't have time for.) If I don't stay home, we would have to find a nanny, which in our smallish town is not an easy prospect.

Second, I go back to school and get my master's degree. Here in comes the thoughtfully vs. impulsively. The program I am looking at has a Fall deadline of May 1st. I would have to commit and do all the paperwork (I have to write an essay, kill me now) and take/pass the GRE before then. That's kinda quick. So my plan is to take a class or two in the Fall, MAKE SURE I want to do this school thing, and start the program in the Spring of 2011.

Do I sound calm? I am working really hard at sounding calm. I figure if I practice hard enough with this calm thing, it may override the shrieking, panic-filled banshee that is rolling around inside me.

I have this little issue with change. And anxiety. The plan doesn't sit well with the issues. I am a tad nervous about giving up the full paycheck. But we did do this the other way around. With me working and the husband going to school. Plus part of the plan is for me to work part time. (Hopefully with an assistantship and fee waivers...)

I still have to contact the people in the program to make sure I can take the 2 classes I am looking at without being admitted, plus I have to apply to the grad school.

Plus I have to quit in such a lovely sweet way that my boss and former boss (same office) will write me letters of recommendation for the program.

The program? You're curious, you say... oh, well then. Master of Arts in Library Science. (Did that catch anyone off-guard?)

So what do you think of my plan?

7 comments:

mathgeek said...

Yes, that did catch me off guard. Terin the librerin, I like it. (okay, I can't make it rhyme but its close). Job outlook for librarians? Are you looking at working in a school someday, or have you not gotten that far? Is husband's job stable? Does he like it? If he supports this plan, then I say go for it!

RockinMama said...

A great plan, take a deep breath, a perfect plan, another...now, realize that will be the place to be, the future will always require the job and libraries will not go away. Unless, the terrorists take over and make us burn all the books, but that is unlikely...I think, oh, sorry...take another deep breath. Hey, I'm here to support you, albeit I'm a bit far to hug you on a regular basis, I get it...change is difficult. Love you - miss you - mean it!

Dread Pirate Davi said...

Tis a good plan. Take a deep breath, make sure your finances are straight, take another deep breath, down a glass of wine to help steel your nerves, and go for it. =)

Leslie said...

You as librarian = eff'ing brilliant.

You quiting this job = same.

You spending summer with kids = lovely.

Can't wait to spend time together in a few weekends!

Seriously said...

Thanks for all the support. It means a lot!

tonkelu said...

I think if YOU'RE happy with this plan then that's all that matters. The fact that I think it's wonderful is irrelevant.

Maybe this summer you and the kiddos could come up to visit and we could do some fun field trip with them?

Anonymous said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-inhale-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-inhale-AY!
RE: LAGGIN

You as librarian = eff'ing brilliant. (No off-guard, good choice.)

You quiting this job = same. (Ditto, in other words.)

You spending summer with kids = lovely. (See ditto above.)